Regardless of how in or out of tune a man is with his own body, one thing he is sure to never miss is penis pain and abnormal discharge. There are numerous reasons for such an occurrence, ranging from a mild infection, to a sexually transmitted disease, to a serious medical condition such as cancer. One such condition – which luckily is very treatable – is the common yeast infection. Though a yeast infection may not cause serious health side effects, it can easily be passed from partner to partner, making it very important to pop in to the doctor and get treated if a yeast infection is suspected. While it is likely that most men will encounter a yeast infection at some point in their lives, engaging in a daily penis health routine will not only alert him to sudden changes, but may decrease the frequency of similar annoying, uncomfortable ailments.
What is a yeast infection… don’t they only occur in women?
While a yeast infection tends to be more common in women – and more readily spotted- it is an infection many men can get, as well. In fact, some men actually carry a yeast infection without even knowing it, as they are asymptomatic. Men who show no symptoms are (obviously) more likely to pass it to their partners, which is sometimes how a man finds out he had it to begin with.
A yeast infection is an infection caused by the fungus Candida; in men, it occurs on the penis. Despite the unpleasant images the thought of a fungus may bring up for most people, it is actually a normal part of the healthy environment and found on the skin of most people. Generally, the immune system keeps the fungus from turning into an infection, but certain circumstances lead to an infection.
What causes a yeast infection?
* Compromised Immunity: Having a compromised immune system makes one more susceptible to any type of infection, including a yeast infection. Certain issues cause chronic immunodeficiency including: an underactive thyroid gland, HIV, Lyme disease, mononucleosis, and even chronic stress.
* Antibiotics: Antibiotics are prescribed to kill invading bacteria — which cause infection. Unfortunately, an antibiotic medication is unable to discern between good bacteria and bad bacteria. Thus, it may target the wrong kind, allowing a yeast infection to occur.
* Diabetes: This is another chronic medical condition known to be associated with yeast infections. The elevated sugar levels in a diabetic’s urine creates an environment in which yeast tends to thrive.
* Sexual Transmission: While not considered a sexually transmitted infection, yeast infections can be passed from male to female and female to male during sex.
What are the symptoms?
In certain men, no symptoms ever present and he may not discover he has a yeast infection until his partner becomes symptomatic. Treatment is still recommended for these men, however; otherwise, they will continue to re-infect their partner. For men who do show signs of yeast infection, symptoms include:
* Severe itching around the head of the penis
* Irritation and soreness of the head of the penis
* White, cheesy discharge
* Redness of the head of the penis
* Blistering on the head of the penis
How to care for the penis
The best way to prevent a penile yeast infection is to use protection during sex, particularly if one’s partner suspects a yeast infection is present. A quick round of antifungal medication is commonly prescribed to treat the infection, so an infected penis is as good as new in no time. Keeping the genital area dry is also an important tip to preventing yeast infections, as the yeast that is naturally on one’s penis tends to thrive – and grow – in warm, moist conditions. Maintaining proper penis hygiene by thoroughly washing the penis regularly with mild soap and water may help prevent excessive bacteria which can eventually lead to infection. Additionally, the use of a penis health formula full of vitamins and minerals (most professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil) can also keep the penis healthy. Choose one with Vitamin A, which has anti-bacterial properties and may help keep infections away.