Heartburn is a common ailment that affects anybody which has made some experts in the field consider it as common as ordinary colds. However, the symptoms of heartburn are nothing to scoff at. Some of the symptoms of heartburn are chest pains, regurgitation of food and liquids, wheezing cough, among others. It is estimated that about 20 percent of the population are afflicted with this condition at least once every week.
When heartburn happens, the acidic contents of the stomach are pushed up towards the esophagus. The lining of the esophagus is delicate and continuous flow of acids in this region can potentially harm your body and eventually lead to esophageal cancer if left untreated. There are several heartburn remedies available which you can quickly use to help alleviate your situation. They are as follows:
* Eating patterns – eat smaller portions; and do not go to bed immediately after a meal. Allow two to three hours gap between eating and sleeping. Chew your food properly and take time to allow saliva help break down the food you consume;
* Sleep in an elevated position – you can do this by placing a couple of soft pillows underneath your head or if your bed has a feature of changing levels, use it.
* Reduce stress – Stress is indeed a killer, by changing your hectic lifestyle you can see a marked improvement in your condition
* Avoid certain foods – caffeinated products, greasy food, and chocolate are food culprits. Stay away from them as soon as possible;
* Tobacco and Alcohol – kick the habit and you will feel better quickly.
* Gum – chewing gum is a simple activity that has great relieving effects. It promotes the production of saliva which can neutralize the effects of acids. It is also a known nociceptor which tells your brain and nerves to relieve you of the pain or discomfort you are experiencing. Best of all, this is a cheap remedy for an ailment that is troublesome to say the least.
These are just some of the heartburn remedies that you can immediately use to relieve you of some pain that you are experiencing. Remember that the only way you can permanently avoid heartburn is by changing your lifestyle and diet. If you have been accustomed to wanton food consumption without even taking time to chew your food, then this is the right time to change all that. Many sufferers continue to experience heartburn because they refuse to change the way they run their lives. Stress is a heartburn factor and something none of us needs, so just learn to relax and pace yourself.
Get a notepad and list all these remedies so you will not forget them. Use one or two or a combination of them and see what suits best for you and stick to it. These heartburn remedies can help you not only at the time when heartburn occurs. It is also preventive in nature, thus you can use it even before heartburn symptoms occur.